Sunday, August 19, 2007

Change is Inevitable ... Growth is Optional

Somewhere I read the words found in the title of this article. "Change is inevitable ... growth is optional." When a person comes face to face with the claims of Jesus Christ, the options are limited. If Christ is Who He says He is, then the choice for me, though difficult, is essential.

Since God's purpose is to conform me to the image of His Son, I must be willing to surrender all of who I am to His sovereign will. There are parts of me that do not want to surrender and there is a part of me that cries out for Someone to be in control besides me. None of us would deny that we are changing every day. That is the reason for the phrase "Change is inevitable ..." The question is, in my change, am I growing?

As a believer, every day is an opportunity for me to be MORE like Christ, but the choice is mine. If I chose to be more like Christ, then change is not enough, there must be growth. Growth assumes purpose ... purpose must be defined ... and once purpose is defined, it must be demonstrated ... and that demonstration is the reflection of Christ in me.

So, in the final analysis, for the believer, "growth is NOT optional" ... it is essential. Growing, while painful, leads to a blessedness in life that can be attained no other way.

These are just my thoughts.

Jerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home